Kat Kerr Agent 1-2-1
Literary and Upmarket Fiction:
Kat is drawn to strong, character-driven works with rich, literary prose. She loves books that make her think and have a strong emotional pull.
- Adult Contemporary
- Women’s Fiction
- Adult & YA Multicultural Lit
- Adult Historical works featuring family sagas. Think Amy Tan’s Joy Luck Club or Walter Dean Myers’ The Glory Field.
- YA Contemporary that isn’t afraid to tackle the hard topics. Books in a similar vein as Adam Silvera’s More Happy Than Not, Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower, or Laurie Halse Anderson’s Speak.
Other favorites: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys¸ Big Fish by Daniel Wallace, About a Boy by Nick Hornby, Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, The Leavers by Lisa Ko, and Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.
For the commercial market, Kat is looking for high concept, voice-driven works with a close POV and well-developed, distinct characters.
- Science Fiction, specifically space operas or something dark and twisty similar to an episode of Black Mirror
- Low, epic fantasies and dark urban fantasies where the worldbuilding reflects a non-Europe based setting
- Quirky and fun Women’s Fiction and Rom-Coms like Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding
- YA-all genres
Other favorites: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab, The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger, and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire.
Do not send:
- Plots/themes centering around unresolved rape or abuse, or child abuse
- Previously published or self-published works
- MG, Chapter books, picture books
- Novellas, short stories, or poetry collections
- Military/war stories
Fri 1.30pm (EST), Fri 10.30am (EST), Fri 10am (EST), Fri 11am (EST), Fri 1pm (EST), Sat 4.30pm (EST), Sat 4pm (EST), Sat 5.30pm (EST), Sat 5pm (EST), Sat 7pm (EST)