Things to ask yourself and be mindful of
THINGS TO ASK YOURSELF:
– Does your story have a clear, beginning, middle and end?
– Does your story build to a turning point?
– Does your character have a problem that needs to be overcome?
– Is there a resolution to the problem and a satisfying ending?
– Does your protagonist solve their own problem, making the story inspiring for children?
– Picture books can be cumulative, circular or have other formats. But they must have shape.
– Make sure your story doesn’t stray from your main nub of the idea.
THINGS TO BE MINDFUL OF:
– Beginnings: Your protagonist needs to as different from anyone or anything you seen before. They should, more often than not, be in the opening line.
– Middles: Try making the plot even more humorous/ perilous/ child friendly/ fantastical? Actively think BIGGER and BRAVER.
– Endings: Have all the loose ends been wrapped up? Does the ‘pay off’ leave the reader feely full satisfied? Does the story end ‘a laugh’ or ‘a lump’ on the last page. However it ends, make it memorable.