WriteMentor has grown much as an organisation in the last 2 years. We now run a total of 21 events, competitions, schemes or other initiatives across the year, and the administration of all of these is taking its toll on Stuart. The pressures of his teaching job, combined with a young family, and everything else that we’re all struggling with in life right now, means that it is time for him to seek help. We are looking for a passionate, hard-working and committed creative administrator to join the small team at WriteMentor. Reporting to Stuart, this frontline administrative role would be suitable for someone with excellent communication skills, impeccable organisation and the ability to build, maintain and develop relationships at all levels, both within and outwith the organisation.
In truth, we are constantly being asked to do more and more, and as much as we try, we cannot achieve what is being asked for, without this extra member on the team. The successful applicant does not need to be a Star Wars fan, but it certainly wouldn’t harm your application (sorry, bad joke – this is why I need an administrator to vet and remove such comments!).
- To manage WriteMentor emails
- To communicate with the many members of our incredible writing community
- To liaise with publishing professionals, authors and other organisations
- To manage the administration of the Spark Mentoring programme
- To organise and grow our Quick Spark editing branch
- To organise one-off events
The ideal person would have some/all of the following:
- excellent organisation skills and experience using google docs, sheets and forms
- experience using wordpress based sites and the ability/confidence to add posts
- excellent communicator who can operate with tact and diplomacy, with the ability to build good working relationships at all levels, have strong interpersonal skills combined with a positive approach to team working. And respond promptly to queries and emails both from Stuart and the lovely writers who get in touch
- responsible for providing support to key projects, taking a lead on administrative elements where required
- ideally be a writer, published or unpublished (that won’t count in your application), who understands and has a good empathy with the writers who form our vibrant and lovely community – but this is NOT essential, you just need to be passionate about helping writers and about the world of children’s books
- experience of working in the industry in any form would be an advantage but not a necessity
- most of all, someone who is passionate about WriteMentor and what we do, is keen to help us grow and offer more opportunities to more people, and take some of the workload that comes with a expanding and offering more
- the patience of a Saint in having to deal with Stuart on a regular basis! 🙂
The successful applicant can work either 2 full days, or 4 half-days a week
Sunday 11th April, 2021 (11.59pm, BST)
Interviews for those selected will be during the week of 12th April, via Zoom. Times will be arranged with those individuals involved.
As soon as possible.
This job will be on a temporary basis until December 2021 initially, with the strong possibility of it continuing after.
This is a freelance, remote position and you can work from home. (No need to commute to Glasgow every week!)
Days/start/finish times can be discussed and there is some flexibility but it will have to be either 2 full days, 1 full day with 2 half days, or 4 half days, within daytime working hours. Occasional weekend duties will be required a few times a year for events administration. (not suitable for job-share)
And lastly, if you do apply, we are truly honoured that you’d like to be part of the WriteMentor team. Florianne and Stuart simply cannot run everything on our own now and so thank you for applying, but obviously we may have to disappoint people (the thing we hate doing most in the world), so please forgive us if you apply and we are unable to offer you the position.
At WriteMentor, no applicant will be unfairly discriminated against.
We are particularly alert to eliminating discrimination on account of age, cultural / religious / political belief, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, relationship status, sexual orientation and any other form.